Content © 2017 Crystal Falls, MI, This City is a WPPI Community.
Crystal View Golf Course is owned and operated by the
City of Crystal Falls and located within the city limits.
Crystal View Golf Course is our local golf course and is
located 1/2 mile east of downtown Crystal Falls off M-69.
This is a challenging nine hole course located on the
banks of the beautiful Paint River and overlooking the
City of Crystal Falls. The golf course encompasses
about 46.79 acres.
The course opens in the spring as soon as weather
permits 7 days a week with Wednesday set aside for the
men and Thursday reserved for the women. Rental carts
and clubs are available. Visitors are always welcome.
Crystal View Golf Course phone: (906) 875-3029. Call
City Clerk's office at (906) 875-3212 during off season for
information & rates.
Men's Course Rating/Slope 35.1/124
Women's Course Rating/Slope 37.2/125
2017 Crystal View Golf Course Rates
Serious talk of building a golf course for the Crystal Falls
area was initiated at a Rotary Club meeting in the
summer of 1925. The original proposal was for
construction at the Fortune Lake Park area. The Iron
River Lion's Club joined into the act suggesting the
course be built at Indian Lake, and the Crystal Falls
group countered with building at the site which would
have the lowest construction costs.
When no agreement could be reached during the winter,
it was decided to build a seven hole course at the Great
Western, with McKinney Steel Company offering the
In the spring of 1926, construction began on the
inexpensive course (fairways were rolled, and the greens
were sand), with Mike Shiells serving as grounds-keeper.
As interest in the game continued to grow, the Rotary
Club appointed a committee consisting of E. J. Oswald,
Leigh C. Caswell, L. P. Holliday, Tom Conlin, Rev. M.
Poyseur, James F. Corcoran, and others to investigate
the feasibility of locating a site close to the city for a
"real" golf course, with mowed fairways and grass
In the spring of 1927, the Crystal Falls Golf Association
was incorporated for $10,000, with Harry Bradely in
charge of stock sales, and the present site was selected
for construction of a new facility. Robert Bruce Harris, of
Chicago Landscape Company, designed the course, with
Leigh Caswell serving as local chairman in charge of
construction. Work bees were held in developing the
course, with as many as 75 men working at one time,
and their wives serving lunch.
A committee consisting of Joe Green, Jim Sanders, and
Frank Smith, was authorized to purchase maintenance
equipment such as greens and fairway mowers, hoses,
Finally on July 14, 1928, the new course officially opened
and golfing the first day was "on the house".
The present No. 6 hole was originally hole No. 1, and the
office was in the Western School with Norman Bjork
being the first caddy master. The course at that time was
a par 34. Over the years, the lengthening of several
holes, particularly nos. 2 and 7, increased the par to 36.
There were originally 25 charter members of the Crystal
Falls Golf Club, with the yearly fee set at $25.
With the hard times of the depression years taking their
toll, the leases and personal property were accepted by
the City on May 6, 1935, on a resolution. The City also
agreed to pay off the Association loan with the Crystal
Falls National Bank.
In 1954 the original clubhouse was expanded to more
than twice its size, and several small expansions were
also made during the 1970's. The fall of 1973 saw the
installation of an automatic sprinkler system for the
greens and tees.
(The above information was taken from excerpts of "A
Collection of Recollections" - the Crystal Falls Centennial