Crystal View Golf Course is owned and operated by
the City of Crystal Falls and located within the city limits.
Crystal View Golf Course - This is our local course. Located 1/2 mile east of downtown Crystal Falls off M-69. This is a challenging nine hole course located on the banks of the beautiful Paint River and overlooking the City of Crystal Falls. The golf course encompasses about 46.79 acres.
The course opens in the spring as soon as weather permits 7 days a week with Wednesday set aside for the men and Thursday reserved for the women. Rental carts and clubs are available. Visitors are always welcome. Crystal View Golf Course phone: (906) 875-3029. Call City Clerk's office at (906) 875-3212 during off season for information & rates.
Men's Course Rating/Slope 35.1/124 Women's Course Rating/Slope 37.2/125
When no agreement could be reached during the winter, it was decided to build a seven hole course at the Great Western, with McKinney Steel Company offering the land.
In the spring of 1926, construction began on the inexpensive course (fairways were rolled, and the greens were sand), with Mike Shiells serving as groundskeeper.
As interest in the game continued to grow, the Rotary Club appointed a committee consisting of E. J. Oswald, Leigh C. Caswell, L. P. Holliday, Tom Conlin, Rev. M. Poyseur, James F. Corcoran, and others to investigate the feasibility of locating a site close to the city for a "real" golf course, with mowed fairways and grass greens.
In the spring of 1927, the Crystal Falls Golf Association was incorporated for $10,000, with Harry Bradely in charge of stock sales, and the present site was selected for construction of a new facility. Robert Bruce Harris, of Chicago Landscape Company, designed the course, with Leigh Caswell serving as local chairman in charge of construction. Work bees were held in developing the course, with as many as 75 men working at one time, and their wives serving lunch.
A committee consisting of Joe Green, Jim Sanders, and Frank Smith, was authorized to purchase maintenance equipment such as greens and fairway mowers, hoses, sprinklers, etc.
Finally on July 14, 1928, the new course officially opened and golfing the first day was "on the house".
The present No. 6 hole was originally hole No. 1, and the office was in the Western School with Norman Bjork being the first caddy master. The course at that time was a par 34. Over the years, the lengthening of several holes, particularly nos. 2 and 7, increased the par to 36.
There were originally 25 charter members of the Crystal Falls Golf Club, with the yearly fee set at $25.
With the hard times of the depression years taking their toll, the leases and personal property were accepted by the City on May 6, 1935, on a resolution. The City also agreed to pay off the Association loan with the Crystal Falls National Bank.
In 1954 the original clubhouse was expanded to more than twice its size, and several small expansions were also made during the 1970's. The fall of 1973 saw the installation of an automatic sprinkler system for the greens and tees.
(The above information was taken from excerpts of "A Collection of Recollections" - the Crystal Falls Centennial book)